I don't think there is any chlorine in my pool...Help!

I don't think there is any chlorine in my pool...Help!

There is no chlorine registering in my pool. My chlorinator is on and I have just shocked the pool. What's going on?

pool water chemistry testChemistry test
When testing your pool water for "available" or "free" chlorine (CHL) you are measuring the amount of chlorine that is in the pool and is ready to attack a waste. If your test indicates 0.0 CHL there may be chlorine in the pool working to sanitize the pool BUT there is no extra, "Free", or "Available" chlorine to attack new or additional waste. In this state it is possible to have a perfectly clear and clean pool as well as SMELL chlorine (really chloramines) but not have any CHL register on a test.

chloramine moleculeChloramine molecule
Think of your pool chemistry and chlorine like your immune system. If your immune system is healthy and ready to fight germs it is possible for you to fight off a cold you picked up from a door knob or other source and not even know it. Similarly if your pool is healthy and has an available CHL level (1.0-2.5 PPM), it can also fight off algae or other contaminates from bathers and not get "sick". However if your body has been fighting off multiple colds and you are exposed again, it may be too much for your immune system can handle and you may become sick. This is probably the time to see the doctor and start taking vitamins and or medication to give your system a boost. Your pool is exactly the same. If the waste outnumbers the chlorine and the pool gets "sick" it's time for your pools immune system to get a boost. We do this not with meds or vitamins but rather by "shocking." Shocking the pool is simply increasing the CHL level in the pool to 10PPM to kill the organics in the pool and thereby getting the pool healthy again.

Shocking can be done a couple ways. If you have a salt CHL generator you simply push the "Boost", "Turbo", or the "Shock" button. These buttons vary by unit but do the same thing. They increase the output level of the unit to 100% for a period specified by you. The second way is to simply put granulated or liquid shock in your pool. If you don't have a salt CHL system this is your only option. If you do have a salt system you can still add chemical CHL to the pool and not wait for the system to do it. Either is fine.

showering before getting into a pool helps reduce chlorine useShowering beforehand
helps reduce chloramines
Last but not least- and I don't want to get TOOO technical here- but your PH could also be the reason your CHL is not registering. If your PH is not between 7.2 and 7.4, your CHL reading is NOT ACCURATE. Example: If your pool has a PH of 7.2 and your CHL level is reading 2.5 you're a happy camper. However if your PH is 7.8 only 20% of the CHL in the pool will be available and measurable. This means your readings would be PH 7.8 and CHL 0.6. Why? Because the other 80% is being wasted in the pool and is ineffective. If you lower the pool PH by adding muriatic acid or PH minus. When you retest you find magically that your CHL appears to have increased to 2.5. In reality the level has not actually increased but the CHL that has been in the pool all along will become usable and register. Have you ever wondered why the chemical companies suggest you keep your PH at 7.4-7.8????? You got it! So you'll buy more Chlorine!!!! For more help and a guide on adjusting your water chemistry see our water chemistry calculator.

1605 Shawnee Ave, Columbus, OH 43211 | Columbus (614) 890-7665 | Cincinnati (513) 755-7665
11470 Hawke Rd, Columbia Station, OH 44028 | Cleveland (440) 237-7665
9295 Franklin Rd, Murfreesboro, TN 37128 | Nashville (615) 900-2181
Copyright Luxury Pools and Living 2005-2018